At Streatham Baptist Church we are committed to the safeguarding, care and nurture of all our members, including safeguarding adults at risk and children and young people. We recognise that safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility. We carefully select and train all those who work or volunteer in positions of trust. We use the Disclosure and Barring Service, amongst other methods, to check the background of each person.
We will respond, without delay, to every concern made that a person for whom we are responsible may have been harmed or be at risk of harm. We will co-operate fully with statutory agencies during any investigation concerning a member of the church community. Where we are aware, we will seek to ensure that anyone for whom we have pastoral responsibility who has suffered abuse or neglect is offered support that meets their needs.
We will respond appropriately to those who wish to join our fellowship who have committed sexual or other serious offences and may pose harm to others, by following the advice of the Baptist Union Safeguarding Team.
We have agreed separate Policy Statements for safeguarding adults and children:
- Our Designated Person for Safeguarding is Howard Baines
- Our Safeguarding Trustee is Jackie Ritter
- Our Minister for Safeguarding is Rev. Nathan McGuire
The Designated Person for Safeguarding can be contacted by email: email@example.com , through the Church Office on 020 8769 1515, or the Church Manager on 07377 702818.
If you are unable to contact the Designated Person for Safeguarding and you are worried about an adult or child is at risk, please contact Lambeth Council on 020 7926 5555 (24 hours) or refer to their websites:
Please note, if the adult or child does not live in Lambeth you may be advised to contact the local authority where the persons lives.
In an emergency, contact the police or emergency services on 999.
The following national resources may be helpful:
- Childline: https://www.childline.org.uk/ (or call 0800 1111)
- Kidscape (for help with bullying): https://www.kidscape.org.uk/
- Age UK: https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/health-wellbeing/relationships-family/protection-from-abuse/ (or call 0800 678 1174)
- Action on Elder Abuse: https://wearehourglass.org/ (or call 0808 808 8141)
- Domestic Abuse National Helpline: https://www.nationaldahelpline.org.uk/ (or call 0808 2000 247)